Monday, March 23, 2015

I Love Jesus Christ, He Is My Best Friend!

Dear Family & Friends,

This week I have been reading in  Alma 55:30 and learned a very valuable lesson. The Nephites, in a couple of chapters earlier, had taken their wine to the Lamanites.  Now in Alma 55 the Lamanites are trying to do the same thing to them.  And in Alma 55:32 it says this,

"And they were thus cautious that no poison should be administered among them; for if their wine would poison a Lamanite it would also poison a Nephite; and thus they did try all their liquors". 

We can apply that to sin. If it will harm a child it will harm an adult and so on.  It made me to start thinking of things that I had justified just because I was old enough to "partake" of things that a younger person couldn't or shouldn't.  But according to that scripture no one can partake of any amount of sin and expect to live at the last days.  No unclean thing can enter into the kingdom of God.  So if He can't let any unclean thing in, how do we get in?  It is through Jesus Christ, our older brother and mediator for us before the father.  Through Him and only through Him can we return. 

Mosiah 5:8  And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.

This week we have taught a couple first lessons and this is always the point that we try to get a crossed the best that we can.  But the three most important things Jesus Christ did for us was,

1. He set up His church and gave the ordinances that pertained to our salvation. 
2. He gave us the way to live. "Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your father who is in heaven is perfect". 3 Nephi 12:48.
3. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing he did was perform the Atonement. The suffering in the Garden combined with the public humiliation of the cross and the victory over the grave made it so we too could over come physical death. And if we accept Him and try to follow him, repent, be baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. We can return to live with God. 

I think that the greatest thing I have learned on my Mission and possibly the greatest thing I will ever learn is how much we all need Jesus Christ.  He is the center of this Church.  All of the doctrine taught revolves around Jesus Christ and how to return to live with God. That is why the Book of Mormon in the  Introduction says this "Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah".  The first point the Introduction says that when you find out this is true you will know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world.

 I love Jesus Christ.  He is my best friend and older brother. I have felt the enabling power of the Atonement on my Mission.  The days that I just couldn't take one more step or talk to one more person He was there. The transfers that I struggled with companions and depression He was there. The happy moments when I was at my best He was there. He is always here for us. It is never to late to reach out and jump into his arms. 


28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


Until we meet again in a few short weeks!  Love to you all.

Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment