Monday, June 16, 2014

Trials of being a District Leader

 Hello Friends and Family,

This week has been fun.  As I have mentioned before, the weather can not make up its mind on what it wants to do.  It rains then the sun is out then the rains some again and then it is very hot and humid.  The nice thing is though is that we are starting to get busy preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ again.  The work is going so well that it has gotten to the point where if it doesn't make it in the planner we don't go and get it done.

As I mentioned last week, I was made a District Leader for my current Area.  Becoming District Leader in a sense is a honor.  But for Elder Nielsen, who keeps to himself and just puts his head down and works, it more of a pain.  The biggest trial with being a District Leader for me is probably working with the leaders above me.  To report to them and then try and tell them why things went the way they did.  Hours on the phone, getting asked why Missionaries are not doing well in their Area?  Why their numbers aren't going up?  I am asked many questions that I have to give an educated guess to.  But on a positive note, I am excited and it should be fun.  One great thing about being District Leader is that I have the opportunity to go on exchanges with all the Elders in the District.  Last Monday we where racing around to teach two lessons. One at half six and the other at eight. We raced to the eight one and they said it was supposed to be at six. Whoops.  But we got to reschedule which most of the time you don't get to do. We have also been doing lots of service the past week. We have helped a member move and then helped another one to get her house painted. We have been pealing wallpaper a couple times a week for an hour.  I have told my companion that if my future wife wants wallpaper that he needs to talk her out of it.  I have gotten the chance to go on my first exchange as a District Leader.  It was fun.  I had fun with an Elder from Samoa.  In my new leadership position, I have come to the realization that "you lift where you stand".  I have come to the conclusion that as long as I lift the Missionaries I am over then I have done a good job.  If I help them change and become better I have been successful.  I will also have the chance to work with the other Missionaries closer and learn from them as well.  That will be great!

Our Stake here in Cannock has started a program called knock on every door. The goal is to knock every door in our Ward every couple of years.  So as a Ward we go out and knock doors once a month and we had a big miracle.  The last door we knocked one, we had a couple of people that where interested in the message we had to share with them.  We went by their flat last week and they wanted to set up an appointment.  So we had the opportunity to visit with them again this week.  This experience has taught me that when we do what our Stake Presidency has asked, we are blessed.

I have been reading 3rd Nephi Book of Mormon this past week.  It has been crazy to read about the people and events leading up to when Christ comes.  How quick they were to return to the sin they had just left behind a couple of years ago.  I have also been listening to the talk Beware of Pride By President Benson.  As I was listening, I learned that we humans are a prideful people and it is a hard cycle to break.  But we are blessed so much more when we humble ourselves and put our will in line with Gods.

I hope that you all have the opportunity to listen to and learn from the words from a great Prophet, President Benson.  I know that he was a true Prophet and that President Monson is our true Prophet today.  I love this work and the Gospel that I have the opportunity to share with others.

Thanks for all of the emails and letters!  I love you all!  Have a great week!

Love Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment