Thursday, April 3, 2014

Attitude Reflects Altitude

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been another fun and interesting one.  

Last week my mom asked if there were any Sister Missionaries in our Area and if they were "cute", or do I not look at them?  My reply to that questions comes from a talk given by Hyrum W. Smith titled "Why 1820".   This address was given at Ricks College a long time ago.  "I am to serve God and to stay focused, but if I didn't look around I was crazy".

On Tuesday we taught Graham and Maxine. Their friend Tash wasn't able to attend so we did a lesson on the fly instead of the "Restoration".  We decided to read with them out of the of The Book of Mormon.  We read 3 Nephi 11 "Jesus Christ did show himself unto the people of Nephi, as the multitude were gathered together in the land Bountiful, and did minister unto them; and on this wise did he show himself unto them."  As we were reading this chapter, Graham had a question about ten verses in.  He asked why the people had to hear the voice of God three times before they understood the voice.  I have thought about that lots.  And I told him that most of the time the Spirit prompts us a ton.  It isn't until we are ready to hear, listen and obey that we understand. There is a difference between hear and listen.  I can hear the Spirit say, Elder Nielsen, go knock on that door.  But as soon as I push it off or don't do it the thought comes again.   When I choose to listen and obey to that prompting, I then understand why.  It amazes me that Graham has lots of good questions and he and Maxine are moving along really good.

Wednesday we had a meeting at the Mission Home in Birmingham.  The topic was attitude.  I have always had a struggle with attitude no matter what it is but I was a little shocked because the Zone I am in is doing the best they have ever done so why is the Mission President talking about attitude?  It was because we are doing really good in our Zone.  President told us that if we as Missionaries would be happy and let it show we could be doing even better!  I have learned a saying out here from a Missionary friend.  It is Attitude reflects AltitudeThe better your attitude is the better the work is going to be because you expect more and want to do more.

Friday we taught Graham and Maxine again and their friend Tash was able to join us again.  We taught the Restoration and it went over really well.  We asked Tash if she could come on Tuesday and Friday evenings to visit with us and what she told us shocked me.  She is fifteen and on Tuesdays she goes to a three hour bible study at her Church.  Heck when I was fifteen I couldn't sit for three hours let alone read the old Testament for that period of time.  I think she will do very well.

My family recently for Spring Break attended as many Temples (5) in Utah as they could and did Baptism for the Dead with my younger brothers.  I must say that I am a little bit jealous.  One thing that I have noticed while being on my Mission is how much peace attending the Temple brings into my life.  I took it for granted before my Mission.  I now realize how important it was for me as I attended weekly with my friends as we awaited our time to leave.  I think the fact that I can't go because of distance to the Temple makes me realize how much it is needed in our lives.  So I say to you, go often to feel peace and renew your Spirit.

I hope that everyone has a chance to watch General Conference.  I am excited to sit and learn at the feet of the Prophet and to learn how I can be a better member of His Church.

Be happy, serve with a happy heart and love everyone.

Love Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment