Thursday, October 31, 2013

Be Lead and Taught by the Spirit

Hey All,

This week has been a fast week.  I don't really remember what I did most of the week.  But Tuesday was a very fast day.  We had transfers this week, so it was time for our flat to be inspected.  So we knew that it was time to really get down to some serious scrubbing.  The good news is that we passed the inspection which is good.  And then later that afternoon, we did some less active work and then taught a lesson. It was a really good lesson and then we went to a dinner appointment.  The dinner appointment was really cool.  It was with a former mission president.  He was the president of the London Mission in the late 1980's and then to top it all off he got home from being a the London Mission President and three weeks later he got a call to be the Temple President of the London Temple. The Spirit he has in his home is incredible and we were blessed to be in his presence and learn from him.

Wednesday we had meetings and I went on exchange with the District Leader.  It has been nice to not have to be a District Leader companion as I had been in Kidderminster.  I have not had to go on exchange for a long time.  But I went to Evesham.  It is smaller than Kidderminster but the people are really nice.  While I was there we did some service for a member and did some home teaching.  It was nice to get to know another Elder and see another part of this beautiful country of England.

Thursday was kind of a mess.  We had to catch a train to Great Malvern to go to sign lessons and for a dinner appointment and of course the train was very late.  We where just a little bit late.  But all went well.  We have still been translating Preach my Gospel which is fun and challenging.  It is really fun and I am enjoying learning this new skill.

Friday and Saturday where just busy days with teaching and going by less actives. The one thing that was nice was Sunday. We have only had regular church meetings every other week due to Stake Conference and General Conference.  I can't tell you how nice it is to be back on our regular Church schedule.

My mom was asking me about the picture of the Lambo I sent last week.  She asked why I looked so timid standing next to it.  It was on a very narrow street so there was no way I was going to get really close just in case something happened to it.  I didn't really want someone coming up to me and asking what I was doing.  It was an awesome feeling to be next to a super car that is worth more than a good size house.  Some of my favorite food is Curry but I have to cook it or Kabobs.  We have a Chinese shop called Yum Yum pretty close to us so to get stuff for Curry is really easy.  The Kabobs are tricky because good Kabob shops don't open tell five so it's more of a dinner thing.

Our Mission has been focusing our study on following the Spirit.  In Preach My Gospel  How do I recognize the Spirit?  Below are some thoughts from the discussion I have had via email with my dad.

Consider the following statement by Elder Dallin H. Oaks:

“[A person may have] a strong desire to be led by the Spirit of the Lord but … unwisely extends that desire to the point of wanting to be led in all  things. A desire to be led by the Lord is a strength, but it needs to be accompanied by an understanding that our Heavenly Father leaves many decisions for our personal choices. Personal decision making is one of the sources of the growth we are meant to experience in mortality. Persons who try to shift all decision making to the Lord and plead for revelation in every choice will soon find circumstances in which they pray for guidance and don’t receive it. For example, this is likely to occur in those numerous circumstances in which the choices are trivial or either choice is acceptable.

“We should study things out in our minds, using the reasoning powers our Creator has placed within us. Then we should pray for guidance and act upon it if we receive it. If we do not receive guidance, we should act upon our best judgment. Persons who persist in seeking revelatory guidance on subjects on which the Lord has not chosen to direct us may concoct an answer out of their own fantasy or bias, or they may even receive an answer through the medium of false revelation” (“Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall,” Ensign, Oct. 1994, 13–14).

Earlier in the chapter it talks about the Light of Christ and how it guides you via your conscience.  I think that as you are being obedient and making an effort to do what is right and to further the work that you will make good choices based on your prior experiences, the Light of Christ, and a big dose of common sense.  It reminds me of the counsel:

D&C 58:26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

There certainly are big things that we should seek the guidance of the Spirit.  And there are lots of smaller things on which we probably should be seeking the Spirit but we don't due to our own arrogance.  But to seek the Spirit to help you know which route to take to work today probably falls under the category of "you're on your own, it really doesn't matter". 




Something to think and study about.

Thanks for all your emails and support.  I love this Gospel and the work the Lord has for me to accomplish.  The people of England are tough but the Gospel will move forward on this earth.

Love,  Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment